State v. Blake

If you have been convicted of possessing drugs, you may be entitled to get the conviction taken off your record. If you are on community custody with the Washington State Department of Corrections (DOC), you may be entitled to be immediately released from supervision through a commutation of your sentence by the Governor. If you paid any of your fines on drug cases, you may be eligible to have your fines reimbursed. 


Blake Resources for the Public

 How to Get Your Drug Conviction Off Your Record 

In order to get your drug conviction vacated, you need to contact the county court where you were convicted. Each county has a different approach for addressing these cases. If you are seeking a lawyer to assist you in getting your conviction vacated, your fines reimbursed, or resentenced, see this page: This page provides links to county-level information and instructions. 

Public defenders and civil legal aid attorneys are helping to vacate the convictions of people who are not currently serving sentences, but resources are limited. If you were convicted of drug possession and no other offenses and your conviction was not recent, you may want to consider preparing and filing your own motion to vacate with the court. Click here for more information:  How to clear(vacate)your drug possession conviction after State v. Blake | | Helpful information about the law in Washington exitingwebsite.


 Getting Off of Community Custody  

If you are currently serving a sentence of Community Custody with the Washington State Department of Corrections (DOC) for Possession of Controlled Substances (RCW 69.50.4013), and you are not serving a sentence for any other crimes, you may be eligible for a Commutation Order from the Governor. Learn more about Blake commutation orders. 

The Washington Defender Association

Frequently asked question about State v. Blakeexitingwebsite 

Washington State Patrol

Criminal Background ChecksExiting Website 

Still have questions about State v. Blake?

If the information and links above didn't answer your questions, please contact OPD's Blake team by phone at (360) 586.3164 extension 218 or email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Provide Feedback.


Blake in the News

  1. Those Convicted of Drug Crime in Snohomish County Urged to Seek Blake Relief exitingwebsite
  2. Clear Your Record Of Simple Possession? Not That Easy But You Should Try - Northwest Public Broadcasting ( exitingwebsite
  3. 'I'm home.' Client is freed thanks to Blake decision and public defense, For the Defense: News from the King County Department of Public Defense exitingwebsite
  4. Inslee to provide clemency relief to individuals still serving community supervision solely on invalid drug possession convictions, Governor’s Homepage exitingwebsite
  5. Those with invalid drug possession convictions can petition Inslee to eliminate remaining supervision, likely paving way for 1,200 commutations [PDF], Spokesman-Review exitingwebsite
  6. Governor Inslee extends clemency authority to vacate simple drug possession convictions [PDF], Cowlitz County Daily News exitingwebsite

Access Washington, Official State Government Website

 Privacy | Whistleblower |  Contact Us | 

© Copyright 2023  Washington State Office of Public Defense